Update 2: The first Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer has landed! The next addition to the Mass Effect franchise looks set to up the scale yet again in its journey to another galaxy. Check it out.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
So, we now know the following:
- The trip to Andromeda goes rather horribly awry. This was a given, we don’t think Mass Effect: Handshakes in Space, would have quite the same appeal.
- You are the “Pathfinder”. We assumed you’re tasked with finding a new world for humanity.
- You have indeed been asleep for many years. 600 to be exact.
- This person wants to do nasty things to you:
Things we don’t yet know:
- An exact release date.
- Specific changes to combat or UI.
- How deep the rabbit hole goes.
Update : Best Buy seems to have inadvertently stolen BioWare’s limelight with a listing for Mass Effect: Andromeda Deluxe Edition.
- Costs $69.99 (£56)
- Multiplayer mode featuring up to four players.
- A “more flexible skill and weapon progression tree”.
- Newly included destructible environments.
- Boosted jumps “for added verticality.”
- The case:
The listing doesn’t yet show a release date or any trailer footage, but hopefully those will be coming later from BioWare itself.
Original story: Today is November 7, which is traditionally the day that BioWare celebrates the Mass Effect series. This particular “N7 Day” is exceedingly special in that it comes a few short months before the release of Mass Effect: Andromeda in 2017. The question is: what will BioWare give us all this year?
The titanic RPG maker definitely has something planned. Five days ago it dropped the clip below, a mock recruitment video for the “Andromeda Initiative”, which is presumably the ark which conveys humanity to another far-flung galaxy.
“A future that begins 600 years from where we stand.” It sounds like this is how long the Andromeda Initiative will take to reach its destination, giving us estimate of the passage of time between Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect: Andromeda. But there are still so many questions unanswered, and still so much left for BioWare to show.
Things we want or that could be headed our way today:
- Gameplay trailer: The 4K demo earlier this year showcased little more than jetpack jumping. Want to know how biotic powers have changed, what the new classes look like, and what degree of destruction we can look forward to wreaking.
- New races: So far we’ve seen asari and human, but none of the new alien species which inhabit Andromeda.
- Release date: In spite of the fact that Dark Star Comics may have given away the Andromeda release date, BioWare has remained tight-lipped on the matter.
We could, of course, be in for smaller morsels than that. There’s a lot of buzz right now about other games and BioWare could use a quieter moment early next year for a more dramatic reveal.
We really, really hope it chooses not to wait, however. Happy N7 Day everyone, let’s see what comes when the sun rises on the US.