Stunning stop-motion/CG-animated feature from LAIKA Animation Studios lands on Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment on November 22.
Celebrating the upcoming November 22 Blu-ray release of LAIKA Animation Studios’ Kubo and the Two Strings, AWN has a free copy to give away to one lucky winner, courtesy of Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
Inspired by Japanese folklore and mythology, Kubo and the Two Strings is based on a story by Google Spotlight Stories animator Shannon Tindle, with the screenplay written by Marc Haimes and ParaNorman writer and co-director Chris Butler. The film marks the directorial debut of LAIKA head Travis Knight, who also served as the lead animator for the studio’s previous three films: Coraline, ParaNorman and The Boxtrolls.
The stop-motion/CG-animated hybrid film follows young Kubo (voiced by Art Parkinson of Game of Thrones), who mesmerizes the people in his village with his magical gift for spinning fantastical tales. When he accidentally summons an evil spirit seeking vengeance, Kubo journeys on an action-packed quest alongside newly-found friends Monkey (Charlize Theron) and Beetle (Matthew McConaughey) to solve the mystery of his fallen samurai father, discover his own magical powers, and reunite his family.
George Takei (Star Trek), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (The Man in the High Castle), and Academy Award nominees Ralph Fiennes (Harry Potter), Brenda Vaccaro (Johnny Bravo), and Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) round out the supporting voice cast.
The Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD editions are packed with exciting behind-the-scenes bonus content featuring the filmmakers and incredible voice cast, allowing viewers to dive even deeper into the magical story.
Blu-ray Combo Pack and Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack extras include:
- Introduction by Director/Producer Travis Knight: Director/Producer Travis Knight introduces “Kubo’s Journey.”
- Mythological Monsters: The filmmakers and crew discuss the new techniques they used to create the terrifying antagonists. Learn how each monster differed in scale, design, and execution.
- Braving the Elements: A particularly challenging aspect of filming was animating water and rain effects. Discover how LAIKA was able to animate water in the context of a stop-motion film.
- The Redemptive and Healing Power of Music: Learn how traditional and contemporary musical styles were combined by Academy Award-winning composer Dario Marianelli (Atonement) to infuse the film with such a heartfelt sound.
- Epilogue by Director/Producer Travis Knight: Director/Producer Travis Knight discusses what attracted LAIKA to Kubo and the Two Strings.
To enter your chance to win a free copy of the Kubo and the Two Strings Blu-ray Combo Pack, email firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail) with the subject heading “Kubo and the Two Strings Giveaway” with your full name and mailing address. One lucky winner (sorry folks, U.S. residents only) will be chosen at random, and will be notified via email. The deadline for entries is The deadline for entries is 5:00PM Pacific on Tuesday, November 22, 2016.
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.