This unofficial guide for Hearts of Iron IV contains all necessary information helpful during the first hours of the game. It also contains useful advices related to all aspects of the game’s campaign.
In separate chapters of the guide you will find information about specific scenarios available in the game. Each chapter presents gameplay differences and gives you advices helpful in starting the campaign and being successful in the global conflict. In the guide you will also find description of most interesting nations selected by the developers and helpful advices related to selecting a side of the conflict.
Other chapters focus on all basic parts of the gameplay. Politics and diplomacy chapters focus on strengthening position of your country in the arena of international politics. Economy chapters contain a compendium of knowledge about securing a good base for military actions and overall welfare of citizens.
In military sections you will find commentary related to all unit types available in the game and advices related to waging war. In the guide you will also find “General advices” chapter in which you will find advices useful no matter which scenario you select and which nation you will control.
The guide to Hearts of Iron IV contains:
- “General advices chapter” containing information about each aspect of gameplay
- Detailed description of game interface
- Commentary for each playable nation
- Explanation of basic country management mechanics
- Useful advices related to selecting nation’s strategy
- Detailed information about technology development
- Advices related to international trading and diplomacy
- Description of all aspects of industry and production management
- Advices and notes related to military actions, creating and supplying armies
- “Good start” chapter consisting of condensed advices for beginners and notes related to long-term expansion
The guide was created based on version 22.214.171.12430. (a467) of the game
About Hearts of Iron IV Game Guide
Author : Lukasz Wisniewski for gamepressure.com
last update : July 06, 2016
Guide contains :
33 pages, 234 images.
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Hot Topics of Hearts of Iron IV Game Guide
- Hearts of Iron IV Game Guide Hearts of Iron IV Guide.
- Interesting nations Hearts of Iron IV Guide.
- General advices Hearts of Iron IV Guide.
- 10 simple steps for beginners Hearts of Iron IV Guide.
- Game interface Hearts of Iron IV Guide.
Hearts of Iron IV Video Game
- genre: Strategy
- developer: Paradox Development Studio
- publisher: Paradox Interactive
- platform: PC
Hearts of Iron IV is the next installment of the popular strategy game series in which the player conducts the politics of one of the countries from the war and interwar period – the timeline of the game is set between 1936 and 1948. It is up to the player to choose the appropriate strategy and foreign policy and to keep up with enemies in the arms race of the 20th century world.
The distinguishing feature of the forth installment in the Hearts of Iron series, just like in the case of the previous releases, is the very accurate recreation of history, together with the full freedom of creating an alternate future. In Hearts of Iron IV players will meet many real historical characters of World War II (Prime Ministers, Army Commanders and other political and military figures); the armies and technologies of each country are also perfectly accurate. You will also come across countless historical events in the form of smaller quests that you can choose by yourself, which can be considered the next steps in the long journey of your country.
Just like in the previous games of the series, the players can control a country actively engaged in the war effort, like France or Great Britain; they can choose to take a back seat as one of the nations whose political situation is not as obvious as a state of open war, e.g. one of the South American countries. The developers of the game put a lot of effort into reducing the need for micromanagement – a major issue in the previous installments of the series – allowing the player to focus more on the overall strategy and worry less about the specific tactics and movements of every individual army or unit. The possibility of converging several provinces into a region was also introduced into the game, making it easier to manage different parts of your country and its newly conquered territories.
- Paradox Development Studio – Developer Website.
- Paradox Interactive – Publisher Website.
- Hearts of Iron IV – Official Website.
More About Hearts of Iron IV
Hearts of Iron IV Review � The Art of War
After seven long years, Hearts of Iron makes a big comeback. Ladies and gentlemen, the season for sleepless nights full of orders, international schemes, and endless taste of defeat is now officially open!
Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV release dates revealed
Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV both received release dates not very far from now. Paradox Interactive reserved a moment for the two strategy games at their GDC 2016 panel.
Function panels in the game are quite expanded and they contain many useful options. Despite that, the developers simplified the interface by removing cosmetic features and offering additional windows for advanced parameters.
Further in this part of the guide you will find explanation for all interface elements:
- 1. Political
- 2. National unity
- 3. Political strength
- 4. Human resources
- 5. Factories
- 6. Army experience
- 7. Navy experience
- 8. Aircraft experience
- 9. Convoys
- 10. Time panel
- 11. Game menu
- 12. Research panel
- 13. Diplomacy panel
- 14. Trade panel
- 15. Infrastructure panel
- 16. Production panel
- 17. Army recruitment panel
- 18. Logistics panel
- 19. Notification icons
- 20. Unit panels
- 21. World tension indicator
- 22. Army creating panel
- 23. Map filters
By using this tab you can impact the shape of politics of your country. You should notice that you always have access to information like: support for political parties, active factions, and current leader. With this panel you can determine a national focus  for your country. After completing specific objectives the country will obtain additional, permanent modifiers icons of which will appear in field  – you will definitely not miss them. By using advanced political determinants  you will learn about limitations set on international politics. Depending on country the limitations might be: lack of possibility to perform a coup in other country, lack of possibility to create factions by the nation and lack of possibility to create puppet states.
On the above picture you can see the further part of the panel which relates to political decisions. Each of the icons shown after some time will be used for hiring politics and military men. Depending on your choice, they will offer various additional modifiers for your nation. In order to make a government change, you must have enough political strength points – this will be described further in this chapter. The button marked on the above picture is a very important part of the panel. Currently it is inactive, but during the war it allows you to manage territories that are under control of your army.
2. National unity
National unity is a meter that shows nation’s support for current ideology. Each country has a basic level of national unity which can change when country’s system is unstable. Depending on value of the meter presented with percents, the nation can support the war till the end without even thinking about capitulation, which can be a very useful thing when planning a military offensive.
3. Political strength
A very important resource which impacts each aspect of your country. Thanks to it you can hire additional politics and commanders. Most of all, it allows you to directly decide about politics of your country and change such aspects like military recruitment and economic strategy. Each political decision costs 150 points of strength. Depending on the country, the political strength growth modifier can differ, but usually it equals 1-2 points per day. It means that decisions can be usually changed every half of a year. It is worth adding that political strength is also important when you plan a war since it is the main cost of it.
4. Human resources
Free human resources variable shows the potential size of military forces with which you can replace currently existing armies. A few factors can impact the size of this number. If you are in the middle of war, then more citizens are dying than being added and the number will be becoming smaller over time. You can change the military recruitment parameters, it will cost you some military strength points. In general, during peace the population will be constantly increasing, allowing you to gather quite nice number before the war starts.
This interface element informs you about the number of factories available for military industry, civilian industry and trading. Obviously, the more active factories, the more resources you can use for military purposes and for securing the needs of your citizens. Depending on your needs, you will set some factories for trading. More about can be found in a separate chapter of the guide.
6. Army experience
Experience is especially important when creating division templates. They determine how many infantry units, mechanized units, tanks and support will be in the division. Depending on number and modernity of units, the cost of experience might differ.
Experience can be obtained during military actions or by forming new troops. You should frequently create new squads which can be quickly modified – this will have great impact on the number of experience points you will get. What’s important, the experience can be obtained if you support other armies with your military equipment.
7. Navy experience
In case of navy experience the important thing is that it gives different benefits than the ones coming from training land armies. Thanks to experience points you will be able to create better versions of already researched ships. This will greatly improve your effectiveness in sea battles. Experience is gathered during direct confrontations with enemy units, but you can also obtain it idly by hiring a specific specialist for your government and by obtaining national objectives that are profitable for your navy development.
8. Aircraft experience
Aircraft experience can be similarly as navy experience. Additional experience can be obtained by sending planes as backup for your allies Of course, military actions and modifiers coming from politics and national objectives impact the experience gathering.
The meter marked on the picture informs you about the number of convoys in your fleet. The convoys are used for transporting units to enemy territories. At the beginning of the game they will serve mostly trading purposes. By using them you can trade resources with countries on different continent that yours. With them you can also send equipment for armies fighting on other continents.
10. Time panel
As usually in case of games of this developed, interface contains a panel that allows controlling the flow of time in the game. By using it you can obtain detailed information about current date and speed up or slow down the game time by using five points in the scale of the panel. What’s important, in Hearts of Iron each day is important. You shouldn’t maximally speed-up the time. Even a few days of waiting before activating a technology or national objective might cost you the whole campaign.
11. Game menu
By using it you can save or load the game, change game options or leave the game. The button works similarly as if you have pressed the Escape key on the keyboard.
12. Research panel
By using this panel you can order a few research projects which will be developed separately from each other. In the field marked on the picture you can notice research modifiers. Depending on developed technologies and national objectives you can shorter the research time in all fields or only in selected ones. Government officials can impact the speed of research as well.
In the field marked on the picture there will be icons under the modifier. They will reference to all research bonuses you obtained. Detailed information about the research process can be found in dedicated chapter in the guide.
13. Diplomacy panel
The first part of the diplomacy panel contains few required elements. Diplomacy in wider or shorter part can be conducted with each country of the world. Because of that, filters  can be helpful in searching for specific countries. This can allow you to quickly check which countries are on which continents and they ideology filters can allow you to quickly check for example which countries are fascist. Notice the bar under the filters . It is just a meter of the table consisting of all countries of the world. You can notice that the first value next to a country is your relations with the country. The second value is the worth of your country for the country. What’s important, the list of countries  is interactive and after selecting any country a new layer of the panel is opened.
The second layer of the diplomacy panel has almost identical construction as the upper part of the government panel. If your intelligence is developed enough, you can obtain additional information about each country. Three most important parts of the layer are marked on the above picture. Nation’s unity value and the opinion of countries about each other  are the most important part of the panel. Remember that at the beginning of the game the opinions of countries might be negative or positive, but they can have the same value. Due to your actions other countries can like you more or become hostile despite how you consider them. The second interesting part is nation’s objective . At the beginning of the game you won’t be able to check this parameter unless you are allied with a country. The knowledge about in which direction countries develop can have great impact on the risk taken while planning an attack. You should always have this knowledge because if a country has similar economic and ideological direction as yours, then it can be a valuable ally.
The most important part of the panel is diplomatic actions . Depending on circumstances, you can use many options that will be described in separate chapter of the guide.
14. Trade panel
Trade panel most of all gives you important information about your resources and their turnover. Notice the above picture. During the game you will use six resources which will be required in various combinations for building factories or constructing munitions and units. Depending on your economy, you can produce specific number of resources and sell the surplus to other countries. If you cannot produce needed materials, you can buy the surplus of other countries through this panel. Depending on your civil factories, you can decide to buy a specific number of resources which the factories will then use. The more resources you want to buy, the more factories you will need. On the above picture you can see the state at the beginning of the game, when no trading contracts were crated and 0 of 9 factories are used. Through this panel you can quickly control the usage of factories and manage the resource processing.
The second part of the panel is a list of countries from which you can buy surplus. Depending on the needs, you can move through this part of the panel by using filters shown on the upper part of above picture. You can select a tab with specific resource and continent from which you want to buy it. It is a decision important from the point of how many convoys used for goods transporting you have. If you obtain resources from other continents, then you must use convoys. Because of that, it is better to select local sources. All matters related to trading are described in further chapters.
15. Infrastructure panel
With this panel you can check all the matters related to infrastructure of your country. In the info panel  you can check the number of currently used factories and modifiers related to building new ones. The detailed factory panel  is useful as well. It shows you how many factories are used for producing consumption goods and resources taken from trading.
The most important part of the panel is icons of specific buildings . By using it you can create constructions in specific regions depending on their size and available technologies. More about building development can be found in separate chapter of this guide.
16. Production panel
In case of this tab you can easily notice large number of various elements. In the upper part of the panel you can notice information related to current resource needs . If you lack a resource, it will be marked with red color and the number shown will be below zero. The next element is production modifiers . Depending on the icon you can verify one of five factors that impact the equipment and vehicles production efficiency. Under the modifiers bar you can see icons  which symbolize vehicles, artillery, planes and ships production. Under the icons there is summary  which informs you about how many military factories are used for producing equipment in selected military area.
Under the all interactive and information panels you will find list of specific equipment that is still produced . Depending on availability of resources and on usage of military factories, you can produce a specific amount of equipment in specific time. Similarly as in case of other tabs, detailed descriptions can be found in separate chapter.
17. Army recruitment panel
This interface is simplified to the point that it can be very hard in use for a beginner. On the above picture you can see two panels that are used for dividing the equipment between units . Depending on your needs you can divide supplies for producing new divisions or improving the existing ones with new technologies. You can also create a balance which will allow producing new units and modernizing the old ones simultaneously.
You can notice two additional things that expand the basic panel. The first one is a division designer . By using it you can create a new division template in which you decide how many tanks, planes, infantry and support are sent for battle. The second part is existing templates  which you will have since the beginning of the game and after developing various technologies. Here you will also find the template you created. It will allow you to use it multiple times.
18. Logistics panel
On the above picture you can see the upper part of logistics panel. By using it you can quickly determine which equipment you are lacking in comparison to units and divisions you intend to train. This panel allows you to obtain information about what resources are needed for creating equipment, how many resources are you lacking and what will be the cost of meeting the needs based on current production.
The second part of the panel shows the current resource needs. The progress bar informs you how many of factories and dockyards are currently used for production.
19. Notification icons
In this part of the screen you will find interactive icons with military and economical notifications. Depending on notifications, you can click the icon to be immediately moved to panel that allows impacting the situation that caused the icon to appear.
In the below table you will find example notification icons:
New research projects available
Moves to research panel
Civil factories available
Moves to infrastructure panel
Military factories available
Moves to production panel
Moves to production panel
No national objective
Moves to panel in which you can select current national objective
Human resources unavailable
No interaction, you must change the recruitment policy
Lack of resources
Moves to trade panel
20. Unit panels
Depending on one of three buttons you will gain detailed information about your land, air and naval divisions.
On the above picture you can see a set of three panels. The game offers different modifiers and actions for each panel. Detailed description of all elements can be found in dedicated chapter.
21. World tension indicator
A very important indicator which shows how close is it to a new world war. Depending on various diplomatic actions, specific countries can generate world tension.
After pressing the world globe icon you will see additional panel shown on the above picture. By using it you can check which country generated the greatest tension. Once the tension reaches 100%, World War II starts.
22. Army creating panel
By using this interface part you can select a commander of your country’s army. Each country can have a few armies which will obey orders given specifically to it. It makes unit management much easier. You can create a front line across which the units will be placed and you can plan offensive or defense and wait for enemy. More about armies can be found in further chapters of this guide.
23. Map filters
The tool thanks to which you can switch between various map views. Thanks to that the world map remains transparent and you don’t need to always search for needed information among many less useful ones. Filters can be activated by using keyboard shortcuts described in the controls chapter.
In this part of the guide you will find a selection of advices related to each gameplay element.
Remember that available nation objectives of countries are same in each scenario. If you start the campaign in 1939, then you will have more time to prepare your country. In case of scenario in 1939 none of the national objectives will be completed by default.
- Beginning of the game
- Development directions
- September campaign 1939 in Poland
Beginning of the game
1. When selecting nation you should notice what modifiers will impact playing as the nation and take advantage of them or create some countermeasures to them.
2. Learn the keyboard shortcuts. Correct time management is most important in the game if you don’t want to regularly use active pause.
3. Remember that spacebar is your greatest ally. Use active pause whenever you must make a decision.
4. Strengthen the industry of your nation. More factories will give you much more possibilities than a few more divisions.
5. Develop espionage. Additional information that you can obtain about your allies and rivals can have great importance when planning actions and neutralizing dangerous situations.
6. Check all political options that were determined and their modifiers.
7. Base the selection of national objective on how you like to develop your nation and what are your current needs.
8. Control the world tension level. Only after it reaches a certain level some political options become available.
9. Keep improving your units – technologically and by training and using them.
10. Always keep some active researches of new technologies. You can start a few projects simultaneously, use this function.
1. National objective doesn’t cost you, but realizing it takes time. Make sure that not a single day in the game passes without a national objective selected.
2. If you don’t want to modify your basic nation ideology, then you should select politics in such way that research time is reduced.
3. Check all available political options and their modifiers so that you know all the possibilities given by playing a specific nation.
4. You can select the politicians in such way so that they will lead to ideology change. In the chapter about nations you will find all information helpful in deciding if such change will be profitable.
5. If you can create faction, you should quickly find some allies and improve your relations with them.
6. If you can’t find allies among the nations with similar ideology then you can start propaganda of your ideology in different nation. After some time its political system will change and you will remove the negative effects coming from different ideologies.
7. Trade improves relations. Trade with countries with which you want to cooperate and they will think more of you.
8. If the enemy is very powerful and you’re afraid of a fight, you can start a coup in his country, forcing him to fight on two fronts.
9. Don’t waste political power points on diplomacy early in the game. Instead, focus on introducing laws and assigning government members.
10. Remember that some laws in addition to profits also have negative effects. Read thoroughly descriptions of laws so that you won’t be acting against yourself.
11. If you organize a coup in some country, then it will be very hard to change the political system of that country later.
12. Control the changes of support for political parties in your country so that you won’t have to deal with civil war.
13. Territory of each country is related to specific number of victory points. High national unity equals a percentage of victory points from the territories that the enemy must obtain so that the nation is willing to capitulate.
14. Remember that in order to organize a coup you will have to produce enough equipment used by the revolutionists.
15. Before joining one of the main factions check with whom are the faction members at war and whether joining them will be dangerous or not.
1. Before you start mass-producing weapons, improve your industrial infrastructure. More factories will speed up the production of consumption goods and the process of building other infrastructure objects.
2. Don’t use all available factories on trading early in the game. This will paralyze the country economy and greatly slow down the process of constructing new buildings.
3. Make sure that all military factories are always in use and distribute the buildings according to equipment needed from the logistics point of view.
4. Changes of political options can greatly impact the time needed for developing a strong economy. Check available possibilities and their conditions.
5. When trading, the most important factor to consider is location of your partner. If you use convoys for transporting goods that can be bought on the continent, then later in the game the production of additional transport ships will block the possibility to improve your navy.
6. The best source of obtaining oil and gum are refineries which can be build in the boundaries of your territory. These are the only resources you can obtain without using national resources.
7. Think thoroughly before you chance civil factories into military ones. This operation is quick only in one direction.
8. By developing political objectives for industry you can obtain a few factories without sacrificing time on constructing buildings.
9. Carefully select the common buildings in provinces. Construction of most of them takes long and if you constantly fill all slots, then there won’t be enough places for buildings obtained during technology researches.
10. Develop infrastructure to level 10 so that the shipments can effectively move through the whole country.
11. Control the resource needs and close contracts which lead to resource surplus. Having surplus won’t speed up the production and trading can be done immediately, so if you need a resource you can buy it quickly.
12. You can assign up to 15 factories on building and assembly lines. The remaining buildings will be producing objects from the building queue or you can distribute them on other assembly lines.
13. The position of the assembly line in the queue impacts the resource distribution. Equipment to be used by most receivers should be always at the top of the queue.
14. Keep production on a single assembly line for as long as it is possible without changing the production target. This will guarantee additional bonus to production efficiency. You can obtain additional bonuses for assigning maximum number of factories (15) to a single assembly line.
15. Check if there are templates of modern equipment available and upgrade the assembly lines. Remember not to turn off the old equipment from use in the army templates. If you do turn it off, then do it gradually, one at a time. Otherwise your economy will fall.
16. Popular equipment like rifles should be constantly in production in order to speed up army recruitment in case of sudden need.
17. If you change division templates and remove some equipment from usage, you must remember about removing it from assembly line.
18. Remember that the percentage of factories producing consumption goods is counted from the total number of all factories, not only the civilian factories.
1. The first research objectives should be focused on areas where they will reduce the overall research time.
2. At the beginning of the game you must decide which army model you want to develop and on what will you build the strength of your country. If you activate research projects related to specific doctrines, then you should develop them as widely as possible so that you have many possibilities of using your units.
3. Select projects that are compatible with your time line for research. Otherwise you can block one research window for a few years without gaining any profits from it.
4. It will be best if you assign the research windows in such way that each of them will have a specific application. One window will be always used for industry research/technologies, another for new units and weapons and the remaining windows on military doctrines. You can change this setting after the war starts, depending on what will be most needed for you.
5. Some countries (for example France) can have limitations related to time needed for specific researches. In that case you must adapt the structure of the country to different strategy and develop it while ignoring selected researches.
6. Change of technology located at the top of the tree leads to losing all further researches in that tree. At any time you can retreat from the project or even from the whole tree and focus on different research.
7. Remember that you can reduce the time needed for researching specific units by selecting some political objectives and by working together with consortiums that speed up the research.
8. Some technologies are required to make some seemingly useless units quite useful. For example, you can produce many aircraft carriers, but you won’t place ships on them if you haven’t developed technology related to sea bombers.
9. Remember that there are three researches available for each tank type. These researches determine the behavior of the tank.
10. Think before researching doctrines – the three has a hierarchy and you can easily lose progress of long research. You should check the dedicated chapter of this guide related to this topic.
1. You need all weapon types for a complete victory on the battlefield. Don’t limit yourself only to infantry or tanks.
2. Don’t develop army templates until you develop technology that allows adding at least 2-4 new units to the template.
3. Remember that units that function as part of organized armies are much more effective in combat.
4. Make sure you have proper resources when you are preparing for war. Remember that you can change civil factories into military ones.
5. Increase the reach of civil recruitment when the soldiers start dying on the frontline. If you don’t adapt the recruitment to current needs, you can quickly start lacking soldiers to create any division.
6. Always set frontline, even if you don’t expect aggression. The units will be dispersed across the line and it will be easier for you to operate the supplies.
7. If you change army templates, then don’t immediately remove the old supply. You can remove the oldest equipment every few months so that you won’t disorganize supply production.
8. Remember that armored units, planes and ships can be strengthened by using experience points
9. Planes and ships should always have active missions so that they generate experience.
10. Land units should be always in training so that they generate army experience. The experience will be helpful when changing template.
11. Each division should use support battalions. Since early in the game make sure you have proper support.
12. You must control waters to start raids over the sea. This will allow you to perform landing and move supplies to armies stationed there.
1. When developing industry, remember about consortiums which allow reducing the time needed for research. Political advisors can increase the speed of building factories, infrastructure and oil refineries. Through political objectives you will gain 4 civilian factories and 3 military factories. Additionally, it can provide small infrastructure backup and reduction of engineering and industrial works. Thanks to liberal trading law you will gain additional modifiers to fabrics efficiency and to speed of structures construction. Change of economical law is important as well.
2. Developing land armies is the most complex process. You will need the best rifles and varied units. Remember about the tank designer who will reduce the research time by 10%. Specific researches can be speeded up by related political objectives. Focus on developing military doctrines for land armies so that you gain additional profits. Keep modernizing the army and close lines that produce old equipment. Equipment designer can be helpful in greatly reducing time needed for developing projects related to rifles, artillery or cars.
3. Air forces require you to be more precise when deciding how to develop its branch. The base is the national objectives dedicated to development of this part of military forces. Additionally you can use the help of planes designer who will increase the basic statistics of produced machines. As for the doctrines, you can select from three development options which you can change during long game. You should also assign an air forces commander who will help in gathering experience that can be used for personalizing the planes.
4. Navy development, similarly as in case of other branches, should be started with national objectives. You should use modifiers that reduce time needed for developing specific ships. The base is also well development doctrines which can be selected out of three available variations. Before starting the research you should use the ship designer which will reduce the research time by 10%. Before opening ship’s assembly lines you should select one of the available fleet experts. Thanks to him the units you produce will have greater effectiveness on missions.
September campaign 1939 in Poland
Advices for playing as Poland in the scenario 14.08.1939 on highest difficulty level.
1. Build defense fortifications on the western borders of province Plock-Warsaw-Kielce-Cracow. You won’t be fast enough to build them all, but it is better to improve even a few regions before the incoming assault.
2. Group majority of units placed in the central part of the country across the line which you are fortifying. You should ignore Gdansk and Poznan in order to shorten the frontline.
3. Combine the squads into two armies and start training them. Stop the training only once the first enemy units enter your country.
4. Create a retreat line across the whole frontline.
5. Assign the highest commanders by using the available political power: Maczek, Bohusz – Szyszko and Anders.
6. In the same panel you should assign Kazimierz Sosnkowski as the infantry leader and Ludomil Rayski as the air force commander.
7. Check all available planes and set missions related to capturing and dominating in the area for them. Move as many planes as possible to the bases in regions which create the frontline.
8. Create eastern front on the line Bialystok-Lublin-Cracow. You have air bases in these legions thanks to which it will be easier to protect from the assault of Stalin’s forces. Don’t forget about securing the northern front with light forces.
9. Limit the usage of all production lines to 1 factory per line, close the airplanes production line. Set the highest priority for equipment restock distribution. At this point there is no need to set new forces since you won’t manage to train them properly.
10. Depending on how the game will go, it might happen that Russians won’t attack you or that Hitler will attack much later. The attack will occur at some point, so be prepared for it.
Controls are very simple and you can limit yourself to using only the mouse with optionally pressing spacebar during decisive moments. Despite that, it is a good idea to learn the basic keyboard shortcuts which will make playing more efficient.
Active pause – on / off
Activating/deactivating the day/night circle on the map
Depending on in which period of time you want to start the game, you can select from two scenarios. The choice will determine not only the campaign length but also the objectives awaiting you after the scenario starts.
Incoming storm scenario – 1 January 1936
In this scenario you have more economical options and you can properly prepare your nation for the incoming war. You can select from greater list of national objectives and determine the economical and military development of your country before the war starts. This scenario is recommended since it offers greater gameplay experience.
Blitzkrieg scenario – 1 September 1939
In this scenario the game starts more than three years later. Most of the economy solutions were applied randomly and your task is to lead your armies to victory in the starting war.
At the beginning of the game you can determine whether the countries managed by computer will try to reach historical objectives or will the processes happen randomly and part of the events won’t happen at all or will happen at different times than history suggest. This option can greatly impact playing as countries which have received the greatest loss at the beginning of the war. If the game skips historical facts, then you have greater chance for victory when playing these countries.
Depending on what difficulty level you select, the game will offer you specific modifiers for the main parameters of your country expansion.
The easiest difficulty level. You will gain additional modifiers that make the game easier. Recommended for beginners and as a playground for various economical solutions.
Production efficiency limit +20%
Research time -5%
Political strength growth +25%
Medium difficulty level which offers no additional bonuses or penalties. Recommended for players who played other Paradox games and want to spend some time with the game with no handicaps.
High difficulty level which slows down the growth of economical and political power. Recommended for experienced players and ones who want the game to be very challenging.
Production efficiency limit -20%
Research time +10%
Political strength growth -25%