Well known iOS hacking team, evad3rs shocked the jailbreak community today with an unexpected iOS 7.x jailbreak release. The team is calling the Christmas surprise evasi0n7 1.0, an untethered jailbreak available for all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini models running iOS 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.1beta1 and 7.1beta2.
After a barrage of public criticism toward the ethics of the evad3r team (@pimskeks, @planetbeing, @pod2g, and @MuscleNerd) the group released a statement on their website addressing all accused issues:
To jailbreak with evasi0n7 head over to the official website at http://evasi0n.com/, after making sure your device is compatible (settings –> general –> about) then select your correct operating system, unzip the .dmg or .zip file, and follow the instructions below.
– Backup your device using iTunes (or iCloud) before using evasi0n. If something breaks, you’ll always be able to recover your data.
– Those who use backup passwords in iTunes must disable them for now. After doing so, iTunes makes a brand new backup. Please wait for that backup to complete before proceeding! Feel free to re-enable your backup password after jailbreaking.
– Please disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n. It can cause issues.
– Launch evasi0n, plug in your device, and click “Jailbreak”. Just sit back and observe its progress. Watch for any steps you may be asked to perform.
– Avoid all iOS and iTunes related tasks until evasi0n is complete. Why not just enjoy a brief break from the computer to stretch your legs?
– If the process gets stuck somewhere, it’s safe to restart the program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home until it shuts down), and rerun the process.
Because of the early jailbreak, Cydia tweaks are not yet compatible with iOS 7. The Evad3rs team suggests that the situation will improve as developers will update their software in the near future.
For a full list of all compatible Cydia tweaks and packages click the linked button below. Much thanks to the folks over at Redmond Pie for compiling (and continuously updating) the list.
iOS 7 Cydia Compatibility List
If you have any questions regarding the jailbreak process or jailbreaking in general
please go to the Jailbreak QA dedicated website: http://www.jailbreakqa.com
or see their help page for evasi0n: http://www.jailbreakqa.com/pages/evasi0n-help
or try /r/jailbreak on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/jailbreak
Questions about the new jailbreak? Hit us on twitter @TechLifeBlog. You can even send us an iMessage at [email protected].
Like the post? Share the love!